Biofuels as Alternative Energy Sources


Biofuels as Alternative Energy Sources

Biofuels are produced by converting organic material into fuel to strengthen our society. These biofuels are alternative energy sources for fossil fuels that we currently rely on. Umbrella biofuels include under the auspices of ethanol and derivatives from plants such as sugar cane, as well as vegetable oil and corn. However, not all ethanol products are designed to be used as a kind of gasoline. The International Energy Agency (IEA) tells us that ethanol can comprise up to 10 percent of gasoline that can be used in the world by 2025, and up to 30 percent by 2050. At present, the percentage figure is two percent.

Biofuels as Alternative Energy Sources
Biofuels as Alternative Energy Sources

However, we have a long way to go to perfect and make the economics and practicalities of this biofuel that we are studying. A study by Oregon State University proves this. We have not developed energy-efficient biofuels such as gasoline made from petroleum. Energy efficiency is a measure of how much energy can be used for the needs we need comes from a number of input energy. (Nothing ever used by humans has gotten more energy from output than what is needed by input. What is always important is conversion - the energy of the final product is what is useful for our needs, while input energy is only the effort needed to produce the final product .) The OSU study found that ethanol derived from corn is only 20% energy efficient (gasoline made from petroleum is 75% energy efficient). Biodiesel fuel is recorded at 69% energy efficiency. However, the research appeared a positive one: Cellulose-derived ethanol was mapped at an efficiency of 85%, which is even higher than fantastic efficient nuclear energy.

Recently, oil futures have dropped on the New York Stock Exchange, as analysts from several different countries predict a surge in the availability of biofuels that will offset the value of oil, dropping the price of crude oil on the international market to $ 40 per barrel or around that. The Chicago Stock Exchange has a grain futures market that starts "stealing" investment activity away from oil futures in NY, because investors are definitely expecting better profits to start coming from biofuels. Indeed, it is predicted by analyst consensus that biofuels will supply seven percent of all world transportation fuel by 2030. One energy market analyst said growth in demand for diesel and gasoline could slow dramatically, if the government subsidizes companies that distribute biofuels and push more far to promote the use of environmentally friendly fuels.

There are several countries that are seriously involved in the development of biofuels.

There is Brazil, which happens to be the largest ethanol producer in the world that comes from sugar. This produces around three and a half billion gallons of ethanol per year.

The United States, despite being the largest oil producer in the world, has become the second largest biofuel producer behind Brazil.

The EU's biodiesel production capacity now exceeds four million tons (UK). 80 percent of EU biodiesel fuel comes from rapeseed oil; soybean oil and the quantity of marginal palm oil consist of the other 20 percent.

Popular Posts